THE GREAT HOUSE
1609: Mortgage from Owen Ieuan to Francis Mansel.
Messuage or tenement called the Great House or Storehouse in Causey
(Mansel Papers. B.R.A.Bundle 12. CRO).
1661: John Collins town of Kidwelly to Edw. Lloyd gent.
Release of house and garden in Causey St.
1667: Settlement made by Edw. Lloyd of his leasehold
lands on his intended marriage to Mgt. James.
(a) One house and garden then called the Great House and garden and
now called the Malt House.
(b) The Lady House in Causey St. adjoining to the west part of the churchyard.
(c) Old wall and site of messuage in Causey St.
1667: Edw Mansel to Edw. Lloyd Esq.
Lease of messuage called Tyr Pen Dre (liberty of Kidwelly), a house
and burgage called Lady House in Causey St. and an old wall, site of
messuage and garden in Causey St.
1667: Edw Lloyd to David James, Carm. clerk
Dwelling house and garden in Causey St. now in occupation of Edw. Lloyd
and adjoining to his now dwelling house purchased of John Collins clerk
and adjoining to his Malt House purchase of Wm. Griffith.
Parcel of meadow at upper end of Small Marsh in occupation of Edw. Lloyd
and purchased from Jenkin Lloyd.
Parcel of garden ground 80ft long and 35 ft broad in town of Kidwelly
and in occupation of Edw. Lloyd and adjoining to his Malt house.
1675: Edw. Lloyd to Edw Mansel.
Lease of Browne Meadow also a beehouse, dwelling house, gardens, sites
of old walls in town of Kidwelly.
Great Marsh on south, Kay St. on north, Causey St. on east.
1679: Letters of Admin. to Mgt Lloyd of her husband Edw.
Inventory (photocopy): Hall, parlour, Kitchen, Dairy house, Brewing
house, cellar, storehouse, Bedchamber, another chamber, Nursery, Study.
1753: Chief Rent Roll.
Returning to Causey St.
Owen Brigstock Esq. for the great House p. Anthony Rogers Esq.
1779: Chief Rent Roll.
Returning to Causey St
Wm. Brigstocke Esq. for the Great House adjoining to the last mentioned
now in the hands of Judith Jenkins widow.
1861: Census Books.
Cowpark House. Occupied by Edmund Blathwayt. Land Agent.
1785: Indenture. Eaton Evans and Williams NLW 3543.
Lewis Roberts of Minwear, Co Pembs. Schoolmaster son of John Roberts
late of Kidwelly to Wm. Thomas Parish St. Mary, Haverfordwest. Former
dwelling house of John Roberts in Causey St. together with Barn, Stable,
Gardens and piece of ground called the Croft with two fields called
Cowparks adjoining to the gardens. These premises now consist as well
as the said before mentioned premises now in occupation of Wm. Morris
and George Stephen or one them or one of their undertenants as of certain
other messuages dwelling houses or tenements now in tenure of Rbt. Mansel
and built on part of the said before mentioned premises.
1785: Indenture and Agreement II June. Eaton Evans and
Wm. Thomas and Lewis Roberts schoolmaster. Reference to will of John
Roberts 1733 devising inter alia his dwelling house in Causey St. to
his sons George Rbts. and James Rbts. James long since dead, George
still alive. The fee and inheritance thereof was given to Lewis.
1736: 1 Wm Roberts, gent. and Jane his wife. 2 Walter
Rees of Foy parish Llanelly gent.
Mortgage in fee (bargain and sale) of messuage with two field called
the Cow Parks and Croft and two parcels at Coch yr Rhedin ucha and issa
all in Borough of Kidwelly. Consideration £100. (Evan W. George
NLW 625) . Ref. to purchase of this house from George Ellis and Robert
Fisher Alderman. (Presumably bought by John Roberts).