KIDWELLY and FERRYSIDE
KELLY'S DIRECTORY, 1891
KIDWELLY is a municipal borough, market town, parish and railway station, on the main line of the South Wales section of the Great Western railway, about half a mile from the bay of Carmarthen, at the junction of the rivers Gwendraeth-fach and Gwendraeth-fawr, 10 miles south from Carmarthen, 19 north-west from Swansea and 239 from London, in the Western division of the county of Carmarthen, hundred of Kidwelly, petty sessional division of Carmarthen, Llanelly union and county court district, rural deanery of Kidwelly, archdeaconry of Carmarthen and diocese of St. David's. The government of the borough was formerly vested in a corporation under the jurisdiction of the Duchy of Lancaster, consisting of a mayor, 12 aldermen, 12 councilmen and burgesses; but on 20 July, 1885, the town received a charter of incorporation, and is now governed by a mayor, 4 aldermen and 12 councillors, who also act as the urban sanitary authority. A plentiful supply of pure water is provided by a spring in immediate proximity to the town. The church of St. Mary, formerly the priory church, is an ancient cruciform building of stone, in the Gothic style, consisting of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a tower with spire at the north-west angle, containing 4 bells: there is a monument to Prior Gilfrida Coker, ob. 1301, and one to Hugh Fisher esq. The tower was struck by lightning in 1884, and the top of its lofty spire fell through the roof into the nave, causing great damage: since then the ancient edifice has been partially restored at a cost of about £2,000: there are sittings for 550 persons. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1586; marriages and burials, 1627. The living is, a vicarage, tithe rent-charge, £103, with 31/2 acres of glebe, net gross yearly value, £130, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1888 by the Rev. David Daven Jones B.A. of St. David's College, Lampeter. There are Baptist, Calvinistic Methodist, Congregational and Wesleyan chapels. The market is held on Saturday; there is a large hiring fair on the 29th October, and others of minor importance are held during the year. The Town Hall erected in 1877 at the expense of the corporation, is an edifice in the Gothic style, and contains a spacious hall on the upper floor which is used for magisterial business, and at other times for meetings and entertainments, besides two ante-rooms on the same floor for committee meetings &c. the basement contains a market place, police cells and public reading room. The public slaughter house, a substantial stone building, was built by the corporation. The extensive tin works of the Gwendraeth Tinplate Company Limited, about a mile from the town, are connected with the Great Western railway by the Gwendraeth Valleys mineral railway, and there are several collieries, brick, sand and cement works. Here also are the extensive Dinas Silica works of Messrs. Stephens and Company (near the Great Western Railway station); the extensive lime works of the Mynydd-y-garreg Lime Company Limited, and the lime works of Mr. Alexander Young. On a rocky height, overlooking the town, stand extensive ruins of a castle, supposed to have been built in the 12th century, and still an imposing structure, the remains being in very fair preservation, with some apartments still entire as well as the noble western gateway, a fine example of castellated architecture; some of the angle towers yet retain their vaulting, and from the battlements good views can be obtained of Carmarthen bay and the country on either side of the Towy. The Benedictine priory of St. Mary, founded in 1130, by Roger, Bishop of, Salisbury, Lord Chief Justice, and Lord Treasurer (1107-40), was a cell of the mitred abbey of Sherborne, founded by Bishop Wulsin in 998, and re-founded by Bishop Roger in 1122, the abbot having a stall at Salisbury: at its dissolution, Kidwelly Priory had a yearly revenue of £29, with two monks only: some vestiges of the building stand not far from the church. About three miles distant is Glyn Abbey. Earl Cawdor is lord, of the manor. Lord Dynevor, John Vaughan Colby esq. and Mrs. Brigstocke are the principal landowners. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and oats. The area is, of Kidwelly St. Mary Within, 4,545 acres, and 238 acres of water, tidal water and foreshore; rateable value of, the parish is £10,451; the borough, £10,409; the population of the whole parish in 1881 was 2,510; of the borough, 2,231. Parish Clerk Ralph Fisher.
Ferryside is a village in the parish of St. Ishmaels, in the Carmarthen union and county court district of Carmarthen, about 4 miles north-west, situated on the south- east bank of the river Towy, and has attained a position of some importance as a place of resort for visitors in the summer season, on account of its pleasant situation in Carmarthen Bay. It has a station on the Great Western railway, and is about 242 miles from Paddington. The church of St. Ishmael, standing midway between Kidwelly and Ferryside, is a building of stone, restored in 1861, and consists of chancel, nave, north aisle and south transept, and contains several stained windows. The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1571; marriages, 1754. The living is a vicarage, with the chapel of Llansaint annexed, tithe rent-charge, £136 with 60 acres of glebe, joint gross yearly value £231, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1880 by the Rev. Richard John James B.A. of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church of St. Thomas (Ferryside), a chapel of ease to St. Ishmael, is a building of stone, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and transept: there are several stained windows. Here are Welsh Baptist, Welsh Calvinistic Methodist and Welsh Congregational chapels. There is a small reading room.
|POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Kidwelly
Mrs. Eliza Thomas, postmistress
Letters arrive from. London & all parts, 5.20 a.m.
North mail 9.20 a.m. parcels, 11.20 a.m. London & Bristol, 2.17 p.m.
Pembroke, Carmarthen &c. 3.20 p.m. (also parcels)
Pembroke, Carmarthen &c. 7 p.m. Carmarthen (parcels), 9 p.m.
DISPATCHED-Pembroke, Carmarthen &c. 8.30 a.m. Llanelly, 12.10 p.m. (also parcels);
up North mail, 2.45 p.m. & parcels;
London and all parts, 6.10 p.m. Swansea, 8 p.m. & parcels; Carmarthen, Pembroke &c. (nightmail down, 9 p.m.
POST, M.O. & T.O., S.B. & Annuity & Insurance Office, Ferryside
Post office hours, 7 a.m to 8 p.m. telegraph hours, 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Sundays, 8 to 10 a.m.
Mayor, Thomas Morgan
Justice of the Peace, Ex Mayor
§Alfred Vennor Bright
|John Gwendraeth Anthony
Capt. D. Harris
David Jones John
*Evan V. Davies
Marked thus retire in 1891
Marked thus retire in 1892
Marked thus * retire in 1893
Marked thus § retire in 1894
Mayors Auditor, Charles Blackmore, Kidwelly
Elective Auditors, William Phillips & James H. Truscott,
The Corporation meets at the Town Hall.on the 1st Monday in the month at 6 p.m.
Officers of the Corporation and Urban Sanitary Authority
Town Clerk & Clerk to the Urban Sanitary Authority, Daniel C. Edwards, Llanelly
Treasurer, HenryJones Evans
Medical Officer of Health, David Jones L.R.P.P. Edin.
Borough Surveyor, Daniel.Anthony, Kidwelly
Inspector of Nuisances Francis Randell
Collector of General District Rate, John Morgan, Garreg, Kidwelly
Town Crier, Thomas Williams, Kidwelly
PLACES OF WORSHIP, with times of services
St. Mary's Church, Kidwelly, Rev. David Daven Jones B.A. vicar;
10 a.m. (Welsh), 11.30 a.m. (English), 11 a.m. & 5.30 p.m. English & Welsh alternately;
holy communion at 8 a.m. every 4th Sunday; Wed; 7 p.m.
St. Ishmael Church, Ferryside, Rev. Richard John, James B.A.
Rev. Evan Davies B.A. curate; 10 a.m. last Sunday in month children's service 3 p.m.
St. Thomas' Church, Ferryside; 11 a.m. & 6.30 p.m.
children's service last Sunday, 3 p.m. Wed. 7 p.m.
Baptist (Welsh), Siloam, Kidwelly, Rev. George Reynolds;
10 a.m. & 6.30 p m; Mon. & thurs. 7 p.m.
Baptist (Welsh), Ferryside, Rev. William Williams;
10.30 a.m. & 6.30 p.m. Tues. & Thurs. 7 p.m.
Calvinistic Methodist (Welsh), Kidwelly, Rev. William Peregrin
10 a.m. & 6 p.m. Mon. & Wed. 7 p.m.
Calvinistic Methodist (Welsh), Horeb Gareg, Kidwelly, Rev. David Geler Owen;
10 am. & 6 p.m. Tues. & Wed. 7 p.m.
Calvinistic Methodist (Welsh, Ferryside
Congregational (Welsh), Kdwelly, Rev. William Castella Jenkins;
10 a.m. & 6 p.m. Mon. & Thurs. 7 p.m.
Congregational (Welsh), Ferryside
Wesleyan (English), Kidwelly; 11 a.m. & 6 p.m. Mon. &
Wed. 7 pm.
Wesleyan (Welsh), Bethesda, Kidwelly, Rev. Hugh Curry;
10 a.m. & 6 p.m. Mon. & Thurs. 7 p.m.
A School Board of 7 members was formed for Kidwelly united district in 1883;
D C. Edwards, Llanelly, clerk to the board;
John Roberts Llwyncelyn, Mynyddygarreg attendance officer.
Board, Castle, Kidwelly, built in 1889 for 125 boys; average
James Henry Truscott, master
Board, Hillfield, Kidwelly, built in 1889, for 160 girls & 120 infants; average
attendance, girls, 85; infants, 70;
Miss Margaret Nicholas, mistress; Miss Martha Harris, infants' mistress
Board, Mountain, Kidwelly, built in 1885, for 160 children; average attendance, 120;
William Phillips, master
National (mixed), Ferryside, built in 1856, for 170 children;
average attendance, 104;
residence attached; William H. Mitchell, master
National, Pinged hill; Kidwelly, built in 1876, for 230 children; average attendance, 145;
Enoch Lewis, master
National, Llansaint, built in 1860, for 60 children ; average attendance, 58;
George Beynon, master
Great Western Railway, Kidwelly, Richard Hancock Isaacs, station master;
Ferryside, Frederick Morris Owen, stationmaster
Gwendraeth Valleys Mineral Railway Offices, Kidwelly, Henry Smart, manager
Andrews, Miss, Wern
Browne, Rowley, Castle street
Charles, William Henry, Pinged hill
Evans, Thomas Williams Angell, J.P., Rumsey house
Gower, Thomas, Causeway street
Harris, Daniel, Velindre
Herbert, Rev. John, B.A., Vicarage, Llandefeilog
Jenkins, Rev. William Castella, [Welsh Congregational], Pistillgwyn
Jennings, Richd. M.A., D.L., J.P., Gellydeg
Jones, Rev. David Daven B.A. (vicar of Kidwelly], Orchard cottage
Jones, Rev. David, Vicarage, Llangendeirne
Jones, Rev. William Peregrin, [Welsh Calvinistic Methodist]
Jones, David, Pinged hill
Morgan, Thomas Croft cottage
Owen, Rev. David Gebr [Welsh Calvinistic Methodist], Lady street
Price, Mrs., Glanmorlais
Reynolds, Rev. George [Welsh Baptist]
Smart, Henry, Mountain view
Stephens, Daniel, Arlais
Stead, Holmes, Broom hill
Stokes, Misses, Castle terrace
Tardy, Mrs. Wenallt hall
Thomas, Richard, Causeway street
Williams, Mrs., The Priory
Young, Alexander, Glanmorfa
Anthony, John & Son; earthenware dealers & grocers
Anthony, Danl. surveyor of roads & farmer
Anthony, David, farmer, Brynmorfa
Anthony, David, farmer, Mudlescwm
Anthony, David, farmer Penhill
Anthony, Eliza (Mrs.), Railway tavern
Anthony, Henry, farmer, Gardde
Anthony, John Gwendraeth, grocerr & draper
Arthur, John, grocer
Beynon, David, farmer, Broadford
Beynon, David, jun. farmer, Llangadog
Bowen, David, roper
Brittan, Harry, watch maker
Bunyan, Lewis, tailor
Chappell, William, Phoenix P.H.& grocer, & agent for W. & A. Gilbey, wine & spirit merchants
Charles, William Henry, L.R.C.P. Lond., physician & surgeon, Pinged hill
Connop, Wm. L., coffee rooms, Bridge st.
Daniels, Wm., Plough P.H.& tailor Lady st.
Davids, Wm., stationer, 10 Lady street
Davies, David, shopkeeper
Davies, David, Bell P.H. Lady street
Davies, Evan V., cattle inspector G. W. railway, 2 West End villa
Davies, William, boot & shoe maker
Edwards, Daniel, farmer, Pantglas
Edwards, Daniel Charles, solicitor
Edwards, Samuel, sculptor
Edwards, Thomas, farmer, Penallt
Evens, Caleb, farmer, Penlan-Ucha
Evans, Dan, Lamb & Flag P.H.
Evans, Thomas, Greenfield P.H.
Glover, Rd. Montague, hairdresser, Lady st
Gower, David, Cawdor Arms P.H.
Gower, Thos., butcher & Boot & Shoe inn
Gower, William, butcher, New street
Gravel, Mary, (Miss), cowkeeper
Gravel, Phoebe (Mrs.), Lord Nelson P.H.
Griffiths, David, farmer grocer & ironmonger
Gwendraeth Copperas Works (S. B. Bowen, proprietor)
Gwendraeth Tin Plate Co. Lim. (Daniel Harris, manager)
Harris, Benjamin, farmer, Garddeisa
Hugh, Ann (Mrs.), confectioner Lady st
Hughes, David, blacksmith
Hughes, Elizabeth (Miss), milliner
Hughes, Frances (Miss), grocer
Hughes Mary (Mrs.), Prince of Wales P.H.
James, John, saddler, Lady street
James, Jn. Chemical Hall P.H. Bridge st
James, Levi, Corporation Arms P.H.
James, Wm. Davis, auctioneer & valuer
Jenkins & Morgans, brewers
Jenkins, John, grocer
John, David Jones, Castle P.H.
John, Jane (Mrs.), draper & grocer
John, John, Green Alley P.H.
Jones, David L.R. C P.Edin. surgeon & medical officer of health, to the urban sanitary authority
Jones, John, grocer
Jones, Lewis, chemist
Kidwelly ReadingRooms (Daniel Harris & Henry Smart, treasurers; Jas. Hy. Truscott, sec.)
Kidwelly "R. Dinas" Fire Brick Co. Limited (George Bedford, manager)
Lloyds Bank Limited (branch office to Llanelly) (open Tues. & Sat.)
draw on Lloyds Bank Lim. London E.C.
London & Provincial Bank Limited (sub-agency) (open Tues. & Sat.)
head office, 7 Bank buildings, draw on GIyn, Mills Currie & Co. London E.C.
Lewis, Samuel, farmer, Rogerlye
Mansel, David, grocer
Mansel, William, stone mason
Morgan, George, farmer, Llancwm
Morgan, John, farmer & rate collector, Garreg
Morgan, Richard, carpenter
Morris, David, grocer
Mynydd-y-garreg Lime Co. Limited (Henry Smart, manager)
Parry, David C., grocer
Phillips, John, butcher
Randall, Richard, Pelican family & commercial hotel & posting house
Rees, David, blacksmith
Rees, Elizabeth (Miss), farmer, Bont
Reynolds, David, shopkeeper
Reynolds, David, stone mason
Reynolds, Evan, grocer
Reynolds, George, grocer
Reynolds, John, grocer
Reynolds, Thomas, draper, Lady street
Richards, John, toy warehouse
Richards, Sage, New inn
Richards, William, wheelwright
Roberts, Edward, shopkeeper
Rowlands, John, boot & shoe maker
Shankland, John, stationer
Stephens & Co. Dinas Silica Works
Stephens, Mary (Mrs.),Masons' Arms P.H.
Thomas, David, butcher
Thomas, David, farmer, Coleman
Thomas, David, stone mason
Thomas, Henry, grocer
Thomas, John, carpenter
Thomas, Sarah A. (Miss), White Lion family & commercial hotel & posting house
Thomas, William, surveyor
White, Margaret (Mrs.), shopkeeper
Wild, Mary (Mrs.), farmer, Coach house
Wild, Thomas, grocer & ironmonger
Williams, Betsy (Mrs.), Greyhound inn, Lady street
. Williams, Daniel, wheelwright, Gletwyn
Williams, David, farmer, Morfabach
Williams, Henry, Anthony's hotel
Williams, Thomas, town crier
Young Alex. lime works, Glanmorfa
Angell, George, Gileston villa
Drummond, Dudley, J.P. Portiscliff
Edwardes, Mrs., Cliff
Evans, William, Cliff
Gwyn, Miss, Horton cottage
Hawtrey, The Misses, Glanmor house
Hnmphreys, Miss, Brynmor
James, Rev. Richard John, B.A. [vicar of St. Ishmael]
Jones, Miss, Cliff
Lewis, Mrs., 1 Cliff villas
Lloyd, Mrs., Brondeg
Lockyer, James, Cliff
Morris, David, Cobden villa
Nevill, William Henry, J.P., Roberts Rest
Peel, Mrs., Rock cottage
Peel, Robert William, J.P., Under cliff
Piers, Capt. Hy. O., R.A. Belle Vue villa
Pink, Mrs. Eva, Terrace
Rees-Mansel, Mrs., Holcwm
Risley, John Barber, Brondeg
Rush, Campbell, Myrtle cottage
Stokes, Miss, Brigstocke terrace
Tregoning, Jn. Simmons D.L., J.P., Iscoed
Walton, William W., 2 Marine cliff
Williams, Rev. William A. [Welsh Baptist], Salem house
Williams, David Lewis, Cliff
Williams, Mrs., Penyback, Bayview villas
Williams, Peter, Cliff
Williams, Richard Llewellyn, Cliff
Anthony, John, butcher
Charles, Jane (Miss), baker
Davies, Evan, poulterer & shopkeeper
Davies, Jn. grocer, & wine & spirit stores
Davies, Thomas L., fishmonger
Davies, William, grocer & draper
Dyke, George, Ship inn
Goldsmith, Arthur, bookseller, stationer, fancy repository, patent medicines, & Post Office
Jenkins, Daniel, blacksmith, Broadley
Jenkins, Miss, private apartments in view of the sea, Lincoln villas
Job, Mary (Mrs.), grocer
Jones, Daniel Hughes, coal merchant
Jones, William, farmer; Rotten pill
Lewis, Evan, blacksmith,. Broadley
Lewis, Richard Bowcott, grocer & draper
Lewis, William, farmer, Trepenhad
Lloyd, Caroline (Mrs.), Railway tavern
Lloyd Janet, (Miss), private apartments in close proximity to the sea, 1 Neptune villas
Lloyd, Margaret (Mrs.), private apartments in close proximity to the sea, 2 Neptune villas
Matthias, William, builder
Morgan, John, draper
Morris, David Thomas, auctioneer
Owens, Frederick Morris, station master
Olive John (Mrs.), White Lion family & commercial hotel
Owens, William, butcher
Reading Room (Arth. (Goldsmith, sec.)
Rees, Thomas, grocer
Richards, George, Mariners' inn
Thomas, Jonah, wholesale, & retail fishmonger, grocer &c.
Thomas, Margaret Mrs.), Pelican P.H.
Thomas, Theophilus, Cwm Mill, inn, & miller (water)
Walton, William W., colliery proprietor & mining engineer, 2 Marine cliff
Wilkins, John, blacksmith, Cwm mill
Williams, David Lewis, surgeon, Cliff
Williams, Peter surgeon, & medical officer of health & med. off. & public vaccinator,
to Lower division, and district, Carmarthen union, Cliff
Click to go: Home: Contents